Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Tradition

Every year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I shred leftover turkey and make the best pot of chili.  The combination of shredded dark and white meat is just the best in a spicy, bold tomato base.  This year, however, I will be adding a twist.  For the first time in my career cooking for Thanksgiving, I will be roasting a whole duck to serve on Wednesday night.  As if all of the calories from Thursday's meal weren't enough, I will add a little duck fat!

I have never roasted an whole duck, but I am looking forward to the near 2 cups of rendered fat that I will use in other dishes. In the chili, I will sauté the onion and garlic in a bit of the duck fat.  YUM!!!  

Also, lets hear some your favorite Thanksgiving food traditions.  Post some comments about what you love, or even hate, to eat over the holiday.  Mine is my aunt's ricotta-based stuffing made with little bits of sweet italian sausage- so freakin' good.  I also enjoy watching Christmas Vacation with my family the night of Thanksgiving while drinking obscene amounts of wine! 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

1 comment:

  1. That red wine will help you process the duck fat and all the other goodies on Thanksgiving. Good for the digestion. Can't say that watching Christmas Vacation will help...except for the belly laughs! Any special herbs or stuffing for the duck?

    ReplyDelete